Wednesday, May 10, 2006

I want the reader to understand that I am not one who is calling for Mr. Rumsfeld's resignation, at least, not yet.

I was channel surfing the other day as I flicked through the channels, Donald Rumsfeld flashed upon my televison screen, so I watched. What I saw troubled me.

Mr. Ray McGovern, a 27 year CIA analyst seemed to be getting the better of Mr. Rumsfeld with some specific, pointed questions. With facts and quotes in hand Mr. McGovern was well prepared to take on Mr. Rumsfeld on the question of WMDs in Iraq, and pre war intelligence in general.

The most troubling portion of the event came when Mr. McGovern bluntly asked Mr. Rumsfeld why he "lied to get us into a war that was not necessary?" Mr. Rumsfeld replied that "I didn't lie then," and the audience applauded loudly, he also said Colin Powell worked for weeks on his UN presentation and that he really believed what he said at the UN regarding WMD in Iraq. And further he stated "I'm not in the intelligence business." Now to me, this is a strong indication that Mr. Rumsfeld was beginning to feel some heat. Mr. Rumsfeld continued "It appears that there were not weapons of mass destruction there." At that point Mr. McGovern told him, "but you said you knew where they were." Obviously deflecting the question Mr. Rumsfeld said, that no he did not say that, that he said that he "suspected" there were some areas where they "might" be. At this juncture, I'm sitting straight up on my sofa, engrossed in the exchange because although I did not enjoy seeing Mr. Rumsfeld squirm, I cannot deny that he was indeed, squirming like a worm in hot ashes. It would do the reader well to remember that Mr. McGovern served this country for 27 years in the intelligence field, and that he is highly educated and served in the military too, a distinguished record regardless of his political affiliation. Mr. McGovern shot back with another quote, reminding Mr. Rumsfeld of statements he made on George Stephanopoulos' show on March 30, 2003, which was "We know where they are" refering to WMD "they are in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat." The uncritical audience began to applaud every word Mr. Rumsfeld said and Mr. McGovern stated in an interview with BuzzFlash, that the audience began to shout him down saying "get him out of here!" As security personnel began to remove him from the room, Mr. Rumsfeld instructed them to let him stay. Mr. McGovern moved on to Mr. Rumsfeld's comments refering to the Al Qaeda-Saddam Hussein relationship, pointing out that Zarqawi was in Kurdish territory, not under Saddam's control, except for a trip to the hospital. Obviously, Mr. McGovern had turned his sights to the claim that there was a direct link between Hussein and Al Qaeda. Mr. Rumsfeld, normally very adept at press briefings was totally off of his game at this point and he told Mr. McGovern, "your getting plenty of play sir."

What is America to make of this brief, yet pointed exchange? To me, it is rather ominous, for I clearly remember Mr. Rumsfeld making the statements, or statements very, very close to the quotes offered by Mr. McGovern. To see Mr. Rumsfeld rocked, totally on the defensive, using deflecting tactics and obsfucation, avoiding questions, trying to change the subject indicated strongly to me that he had been had.

I do beleive that Mr. Rumsfeld and most of the Bush Administration felt that invading Iraq was necessary, but that doesn't make it right. I see cracks beginning to appear in the administrations justifications for the invasion.

History will be the judge, and we shall see if the righteousness of invading Iraq will stand the test of time.

I think I'm like many Americans, I find myself in an untenable posititon. I want our troops to come home, but I know that the mission they are on is worthwhile if for nothing else, to liberate and entire nation. While I have full faith in our troops, and I support them 100%, I cannot say the same for the administration. At the beginning of Operation Iraqi Freedom, I was fully behind the adminstration, slowly, but surely my attitude has begun to change. I'm uncomfortable with this because I want to beleive the President and his cabinet members. What is an American supposed to do now? I fully support the troops, yet, I find myself seriously questioning the integrity and honesty of the administration regarding the war in Iraq. That is a feeling I do not like, one that causes me much emotional turmoil.

1 comment:

Tillerman said...

While I may not always agree with Rumsfeld I have always admired his ability to handle questions from the press. OK, this guy McGovern may have been tossing harder questions than the Washington press corps usually do, but it does seem that Donald is way off his game these days. Maybe old age is finally catching up with him?